25 Uses of The Headscarf
July 10, 2014 § 2 Comments
We’ve all the heard the typical questions of ‘Don’t you get hot in that?’ (the headscarf, shaila, pashmina etc..) and the all important ‘Why do you wear a headscarf?’ Moving on from the perception of the headscarf being a personal oven, over the years I have found that, in fact, it has many other uses.
So aside from the repeated answers that are given to the enquirers, I have come up with 25 other uses of the headscarf.
1. Firstly and most importantly it is: A cloth that is part of a Muslim woman’s clothing. Worn as an act of obedience to God and for modesty.
2. In cold bitter winter months the versatile headscarf serves as a two-in-one neck scarf and ear muffler.
3. The seemingly lovely drapes serve as a crumb collector for flaky pastries, cookies, biscuits and other foods that shed their layers. For those who tend to drop food you might get a few grains of rice nestled in nicely.
4. When called for, the headscarf can be used as a handkerchief. It is advised to use discreet areas for wiping the nose. We don’t want unsightly white marks anywhere.
5. Its a super-sized tissue when you are having an emotional moment. Or for when the kids have tripped and are having their dramtic moment of glorious attention.
6. When lifted to the nose it serves as a barrier between you and unpleasant smells. It also helps to know you aren’t breathing the foul air unfiltered through your mouth too.
7. A makeshift neckerchief (think cowboy and the Wild West) when you are caught in a cloud of dust by some inconsiderate vehicle. Also great for sandstorms etc.
8. If you suddenly feel dramatic you could go all ninja and pull it across your face- go stealth mode.
9. It’s great for dress up too, make it a fancy tasseled cloak, a Pirate bandanna, an amazing trailing princess skirt (for the girls), a sash, a turban, a flying carpet…
10. For when no blindfold is not good enough for Blind-man’s Bluff, you pull out the headscarf.
11. An emergency picnic blanket. Grab a few from the cupboard.
12. Room decoration, if you like the tented Moroccan style theme. I’ve also seen a headscarf used as a table cloth too.
13. You can make a tent out of your headscarf. (Be creative!) Just like those little triangular prism ones in the cartoons.
14. Seen someone you really don’t want to talk to? Quick! Cover your face! Or maybe an embarrassing moment- yup, cover your face. Hide the blush.
15. It’s a replacement for the oven gloves you can’t find in a cooking frenzy. Some people use the tea towel, you use the headscarf.
If you tend to watch Bear Grylls and other survival series the headscarf can in fact, be extremely useful! A life saver.
16. A nice clean headscarf can make a useful bandage.
17. A way to filter water to get all the main grit and gunk out (Bear used his socks.)
18. With some clever thinking a headscarf can be transformed into a rope, it might deliver you to salvation, out of the canyons or something. Make a safety line of some sort.
19. A make-shift hammock when you’ve been marooned on a desert island.
20. It can be used to shift unconscious persons to safety when hitched under the arms.
21. When dragged across wet and dewy grass, the headscarf will soak up the water, wring it and voila- you have some water to drink.
22. It can be used to swat mosquitoes, and why not completely cover your face as well to avoid being bitten? I’m not sure if it would work against killer bugs.
23. If your headscarf happens to be a wonderful bright colour you can wave it around hoping the search party will see it.
24. You can use your headscarf to catch fish too. (By now I’m sure the headscarf would be pretty tattered.)
25. Hot and sweaty after all of that? Mop it all up with the edge of your headscarf!
Thank you for reading. If anyone has got any other suggestions or things they use their headscarf for, comment below and I’m sure we would all love to read them!
Also thanks to my sister and mother for throwing in a few ideas.
Please do not use photos or reproduce this text without my express permission. Do tweet and share the link on Facebook!
Tagged: 25, 25 uses, Bear, bear Grylls, blindfold, blindfolds, cape, cowboy, dress, dress up, ear muffs, fish, flying carpet, funny hijab, Grylls, hammock, hankerchief, headscarf, Hijab, Islam, islamic, kids, Muslim, muslima, muslimah, Muslims, neckerchief, ninja, oven, oven gloves, person, picnic, princess, rope, safe, sash, scarf, Shaila, skirt, surive, Survival, tent, tissues, turban, water, wildwest